They didn't choose the bitch life, the bitch life chose them.

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

In the Key of Life...

There were musical people on each side of my family so I'm not entirely certain why I didn't stick with an instrument or try to progress past what I am: a mediocre karaoke singer, a bit more style than substance, not completely awful, but no one will turn his or her head to see if the face matches the angel's voice.

My dad's entire immediate family sang in the church choir together and his mother also played the organ at church. That was something of a mystery to me, my little gray-haired Grandma Mil, playing processionals and hymns, holding the power of the huge pipe organ in her small hands. I'm sure she hit a few wrong notes, but I didn't notice. I couldn't.

Grandma Mil also had a little home organ that was really fun. My brother and I had more fun playing with the different beat modes and pretending we were Stevie Wonder than actually trying to learn to play anything. One of my cousins did rock out a mean version of "Another One Bites the Dust," though, so I guess we weren't all musically lost.

On my mom's side of the family there were marching band competitions and all-state chorus records. I think the clarinet and flute that they played might still be at our house. They had a family piano out at the farm as well.

Both of my brothers and I are jukebox kids--we sing along to all the old stuff on the radio. I guess maybe it is in our blood a bit. The older one played trumpet in high school, but neither Tiny T or myself lasted in with an instrument or choir. They both married girls who play piano and I do have an odd track record of dating musicians & lovers of music.

About a month ago, my mom was on one of her pitching and sorting tears through her home. Since she's a bit of a packrat, my dad encourages this. Her target on this round? The piano and the organ.

Sigh...

They needed to make some room for an elliptical machine and since I whole-hearted support anyone's efforts for better health, I was on-board.

But I can't lie, there was a tiny sting at the thought of getting rid of the organ and memories of Tiny T banging out "Radio in the Bathtub" for anyone who would listen. I remembered doing many, not enough, but many practice sessions at the piano. Mastering "It's a Small World" and "The Greatest Love of All" were big accomplishments of my youth. The issue was that I was just memorizing and not really learning, so that's why Fiona Apple is Fiona Apple and I'm me.

To mom's credit, she offered both instruments up to us kids first. Both of the previously mentioned sisters-in-law already have pianos and children with lots of crap, so both quickly passed. I'm nothing if not honest, so I have to admit that I did consider taking the piano for a moment, thinking I might morph into John Lennon for a second and actually learn this time and somehow get lost in my own amazingness. And then I remember that I'm basically lazy and waste my gifts... plus getting that motherfucker into my house would have been a nightmare.

Note to self: Add Keyboard to list of things to purchase when the time is right. The list currently contains Convection Oven and Hybrid Commuter Bike. I have faith that I will know when the time is right.

Upon the acceptance that neither the piano or organ would never live with me, I did the first thing that any savvy social networker would do, I offered them up on The Book. I was little disappointed that posting "Anyone interested in a free piano or organ?" only merited one request for a kidney. I was pretty shocked at the instant responses I received, both on The Book and via text. People like free instruments. The piano was especially interesting to many. It was an old Packard upright. Nothing extravagant, but well-cared for, in short, exactly what you would expect from a family of hard-working Dutch/Germans. :)

And in the end, through all the requests and the logistical issues of getting the instruments from my parents' home in Pipestone County to their new home, I think they ended up exactly where they need to be.

Both are now at The Retreat at Pointer's Ridge, which is an artists' retreat just north of Sioux Falls. I lifted this from the website, if you haven't heard of it:

"Beginning in Spring 2013, it will serve as an incubator for creative discovery, and a place to find the quiet needed for focus to develop artistic skills in a non-judgmental environment.

Exhibitions, lectures, concerts and other activities will promote social interaction between artists and community. Workshops and camps can be held for children and adults; art classes and one-on-one instruction for adults will be especially encouraged.

All those desiring a venue where quiet and natural surroundings give rise to contemplative thinking and creative focus will be welcome!"




I'm sure both of my grandmothers are happier knowing that, rather than collecting dust or serving as a makeshift bookshelf, both instruments will be helping to inspire people.

No comments:

Post a Comment