They didn't choose the bitch life, the bitch life chose them.

Thursday, March 28, 2013

Wag Out, Be Free...

One of my friends joked the other day that there should be a support group for the Man Friends of those of us who are obsessed with our dogs. His lady friend is as totally and completely, head over paws in love with her fury child, Oliver, as I am with my bitches. A little good natured ribbing about how the dog doesn't talk so he's better than the Man Friend ensued. And of course I immediately rattled off a list of reasons I love Alli and Joey more than people.

They are always happy to see me. They are excited to eat no matter how many times I feed them the same thing. They protect me. They make me exercise. Their ears are like velvet. They are more loyal than any human is capable of. They don't drink...

They don't accuse me of things I didn't do, like lying. They don't make me feel guilty for things I did do, like eat the last of the ice cream. They never want to fight about money and they could care less about stuff. If they do something bad, they do harbor some guilt, but they get over it so quickly. They don't judge if I take a day or three too long to vacuum the rugs. They keep right on wagging when I sing off-key. They listen.

All they want is my love and my time. Just me.

The Man Friends shouldn't have a support group, they should have a thank-you kibble feed. Dogs give us so much more than we give them. Yeah, I know every cat person on the planet will tell you what a ridiculous statement that is. But the responsibility of caring for a dog gave me my life back. I learned how to trust again because of the Bitches. I learned how to have a schedule again because of the Bitches. I learned that a healthy self-discipline is one of life's greatest gifts because of the Bitches. The Bitches made my heart bigger; they taught me to love.

When I was getting ready for work this morning, the girls watched me from the hallway, as they often do. Looking into those eyes just melts me and I said, "For all the shit I've done wrong in this life, I must have done something right to get you two."

They were probably thinking, "That's a good voice--she's HAPPY! WAG!"

Wag out, Bitches. Be free.




No comments:

Post a Comment