They didn't choose the bitch life, the bitch life chose them.

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

A Guest Blog by Alli

I am not a pit bull. Not a hard concept for anyone vaguely familiar with various canine breeds. I'm a fairly calm, middle-aged German Shorthair Pointer. In human years, I'm more mature than my human momma. I enjoy a good run and a fine bowl of kibble, crunchy brown lamb kibble, and a nice drink of water. I am smart, athletic, and love my humans. Really, I am exactly what you would expect of a good GSP. Check out my photograph, I have big, floppy ears and the long, regal face of a sport dog. My fur is almost all liver-colored, minus the white spot on my chest that Uncle Chef Boy calls my royalty mark. My eyes are almond shaped. My point is that I really couldn't look less like a pit bull. Yet several humans have mistaken me for one. One human even snatched her little punt puppy out of the yard while yelling, "Keep the pit bull away.". I'd like her to know that not all pit bulls are mean. Any type of dog can be kind and any type of dog can be mean. That has a lot to do with how many of you treat us. Momma just stopped and stared at that dumb human, then shook her head.

Like humans, our backgrounds are part of our identity. I'm sure a Korean human would probably get tired of another human calling him Chinese. So humans, since you don't speak dog, please ask the other humans what breed their dogs are. Or otherwise, just say Lab mix or Shepherd mix like they do with every poor dog at the shelter. I have to go sleep for awhile. Morning kibble will be here before I know it.

No comments:

Post a Comment