They didn't choose the bitch life, the bitch life chose them.

Sunday, June 5, 2011

I Loves My Internets...

I steal internet. I'm stealing one's internet right now. Apparently people in Spink don't lock down the internet like people in Sioux Falls. Some nice Norwegians are providing me decent speed and uploading down here in Union County. I can't hack into the Four Princesses or BudSmokersOnly back home. Yeah, BudSmokersOnly. Personally, I strive to be more clever than obvious, but different strokes.

I guess I probably don't steal internet in a sense that would hold up in a court of law, but I refuse to pay Midcontinent or Bridgemaxx or Qwest or whoever the latest provider that wants my money happens to be. I just find that so many places I frequent offer Wi-Fi, which I should clarify by saying that some places I frequent include the dining rooms and decks of various relatives. I've scared the hell out of the cleaning lady on more than one occasion coming into my aunt's house. Tip for anyone planning to steal internet from my aunt: the cleaning lady puts FAUX News on the TV. Loud. Bring your ear buds.

I also have my Droid rigged up so I can tether to my iPad or laptop. Gotta get my full use outta that smartphone media charge. But I swear this isn't as much about being cheap as it might sound.

Every classroom I grew up in had a computer. You remember the old Apple green screen computers back in the day? Oregon Trail? Number Munchers? Yeah, totally pimp for the time and we couldn't get enough of it. Technology wasn't the totality of our education by any stretch of the word, but rather a rad complement and important component. What blows my mind is how much and how fast technology has changed over the course of my life. I barely had an email in high school. Now I rarely send a snail mail letter. We bank online, rent movies online, socialize with our friends online, and some of us even have avatars and entire lives online. I am totally guilty of over-Facebooking on my phone. It's a little scary to think how much you can become part of the machine.

Sometimes I feel a little dependent on technology. As much as I love my techie toys, I wonder if I am losing some bit of human connection. And thinking of some people I know, I am not much of a techie nerd. Tip of the hat to Tiny T and the 40 Year Old Virgin. So I wondered how many people in this world don't even use the internet. There are probably a two billion people who have never even used a phone, much less a computer. Yikes, so in March of this year, there were basically 2.1 billion internet users. And there are almost seven billion of us. I'm sure economics is the root of the non-users. I don't care what anyone says, technology usually increases the gap between the haves and the have nots.

What are they doing? No Angry Birds? I can't believe all of them are bartering sugar for boar down at the general store. How do they pay their light bill? No xCel. Wow... fat American alert here. I just don't see me weening myself from the sweet, sweet teet of Mother Firefox or Sister Safari. And what would we do without each other here on blogger? I spend most of my day at work talking to people, so something about the internet and sharing without a physical human connection sates the misanthrope in me.

The bitches do help keep me off the phone and internet too much. They get all weird and jealous. Alli will bark and bark and bark till I put down the technology and give her some attention. Or maybe she just wants me to go to the PetSmart site and order her some new toys?

No comments:

Post a Comment